Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Lessons Learned

Another good ultrasound today. This time she took her practice breaths right away and then didn't want to stay still for flow measurements. But the numbers were good again! Today I got to watch her wiggle her cute little toes. Then she showed off her flexibility by resting her head on her foot!
After my appointment as I walked into the commissary all by myself, I thought about just how blessed I am. Today was a beautiful day outside- we played out in the snow again this morning. We are blessed with wonderful family who are helping us. So many people don't have family who can or do help them. Leon came to watch the boys again today. They were very excited to see him (unfortunately a little too excited to get their much needed naps and then tired and grumpy.) Tomorrow Grandma is coming. Nana is planning to come up in February. Then James will be home in March!

These months of James' being away have given me lots of lessons learned. Here are a few:
1. Gas heaters (and stoves) work better when there is gas in the tank. gets used up much faster when it's cold out. When you let your tank go to empty, it's expensive to fill up!

2. Days go much better when I spend some time with God. I've started following our church's plan "Around the Word in 180 Days." It's been really good for helping me spend time reading. I just finished Genesis and have been trying to not just read the stories but to apply them.
3. Parents of small children in cold areas should be better paid because it is very hard to take on/ off all the clothes needed for cold weather. (But the snow is very pretty and lots of fun!)

4. Potty training is much harder (and messier) than just staying in diapers.

5. Coconuts are a lot of work to open. If you are going to open one, a hammer and screwdriver is the way to go.

6. 1 pm is not the best time for a dr appt- boys are tired but a little too excited to go to sleep without Mommy there. (but the glass half full side is that after no nap they eat very well and then they go straight to sleep!)

7. One recipe of waffles is not enough. Neither is a single waffle maker- I think we're headed towards one of those multi-waffle makers.

8. You don't need eggs to make waffles. I was very glad of this when I remembered we were out of eggs (and milk, fruit, oatmeal, nuts, ...) right before pouring the waffle batter.

9. When you wait a long to go to the store and eat almost everything from your fridge/ freezer/ and pantry, it's expensive when you finally go to the grocery store!

10. if you don't usually have caffeine, don't eat way too much (I can't say how much) late at night or you'll be wide awake and; finishing your blog in the middle of the night like I am!

No comments: