Sunday, January 18, 2009

Black Eyed Pea Hamburgers anyone?

Since they were a huge hit at home tonight, I thought I'd share this recipe. (And no, I'm not joking- the boys loved them- they asked for seconds and there were none left.) We've been working our way through the pantry. It's not super full like it was when Janelle visited. I thought I'd restock right it before our baby is born.

So today I decided to cook the Black Eyed Pea Soup in a Jar- but I lost the directions sometime and WAY overcooked the black eyed peas- into mush. "Waste not want not" so I googled "overcooked black eyed peas" and found several sites including these which I somewhat used:
http://veganaddict.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/buns-of-soul/ and http://recipes.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view/black_eyed_pea_cake/ (actually I didn't use the Paula Deen recipe at all but it made me feel a little less like a crazy vegetarian :)

so here's my version: I mixed the black eyed pea soup spices with the mushy black eyed peas, added homemade spaghetti sauce, pureed vegetables, and a little bit of AP flour, then baked at 350 for 30 minutes (I flipped once in the middle.) When they were done, I put on whole wheat bread with a slice of cheese and a little BBQ sauce- quite a hit!! (Of course, I also made tortilla surprise with the rest of the black eyed peas/ pureed vegetables for another night!)

We had a good day back at church for the first time (despite a phone call to poison control for a little eaten hand sanitizer- everyone is fine.) And a cold rainy afternoon- I'm ready for Spring! And even more ready for James' return- 60 days or so!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED??? And to have left over tortilla wraps too? I am going to hire someone to stock your pantry.... at least the boys don't know any different! Wait til James gets home I bet there won't
be black eyed peas then!! :)