Friday, October 10, 2008

She's not kidding

All day today I've heard- "Mommy, Aunt Janelle said they're coming back soon & she wasn't kidding!" I quickly figured out that's why K wasn't upset as the kids all said their goodbyes last night before bed. (Same reason he's been okay with Nana & Grandma leaving- he knows there's another visit coming) What a great visit! I'm sad to see the Cole's go home, but we're really happy they came! Most people I told that Janelle was driving 18+ hours each way with four kids 7 & under to spend almost 2 weeks in our house thought we were both crazy! They don't know her kids are seasoned travelers (the many 9 hours trips to KS helped) & that our families really fit well together. I did force myself today to think of good things about our dear friends heading home. I managed to come up with four
-Rob missed his family lots- although we can't be with James now, it's good for kids to be with their Daddy
-I can see my kitchen counters again :)
-C hasn't tackled anyone today
-four people eat much less than food than nine- with our leftovers & stocked pantry, I won't have to cook or go grocery shopping for a month! (Although I will have to start picking out meals again since my (what's the word- not controlling, not strong willed) helpful friend is gone :) I hope that's taken in love like it's meant.
After our grown-up day where the kids stayed with sitters Monday, we went to see the tanks on post Tuesday. The boys were all so excited to see the tanks & loved seeing the soldiers & Army equipment all over post. Then we all enjoyed PWOC- Janelle & I learned about Operation Bandana & about Cadence Hospitality House.
Wednesday afternoon we met friends at West Produce for a tour. The boys loved the hayride, seeing all the plants & animals, being a farmer for a day, and picking out pumpkins. When we got home, they helped pick lots of our basil and Janelle made pesto for a chicken pesto pizza. We had pizza a night early this week since our friends were leaving Friday early. (I improved this week on my pizza crust making.) Thursday we did notice we had lots of tired kids & two tired moms- I guess ten days of togetherness & tons of playing can wear kids out! We played lots of soccer this week & really enjoyed the beautiful fall days. We said goodbyes Thursday night & our friends headed out early this morning. Again, we had good timing for good-byes, since the boys were excited about going to Fun Fridays where they got to play with new friends. T has his first stroller free day at the park- he's pretty sure he's a big boy now. he can walk, run, & climb. He plays peek-abo, brushes his hair, & tries to get into everything he can reach. Janelle got my webcam working so we were able to video chat with James a couple times this week.
I have one more to add to the list that was too long to write (reasons I'm sad to see Janelle & kids leave), the boys are having a tough time going to bad. While our friends were here, they were worn out every night & went straight to bed even when we put them to bed at 6:30.


-

No comments: