Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Terrible, Horrible, Not so Good Day

After our super week and wonderful trip to zoo and Grandma's, we got home to a cold house. I had turned the heat off so I wasn't really surprised but I thought I should go check the propane tank just in case. Even though we just filled it in December, it was almost empty. so I turned the heat 58 and prayed to make it to Monday. We woke up this morning to 55- a bit chilly but it could be worse. The kids and I were all excited to go to church and the picnic. We got there on time- got to see a few friends, heard amazing stories from the new sermon series "Home" leading up to the annual Reach Out Celebration. Turns out this year's ROC theme came from a quote from a friend who leads an amazing ministry called "Ladies of Value." Last year she said "we lead them Jesus and He leads them home." Michael Fletcher was really touched by that quote and thus came this year's theme. Anyway, I was sitting taking notes (with a pen not my phone since you weren't allowed to use phones during the sermon because for safety/ security for some of the ministries.)  Anyway, the woman in charge of childcare found me and said "Baby Girl" has a fever. I got to her room and she was burning up and didn't look good. I collected my sweet children who were all in tears for missing the picnic and headed home.

I planned to write a whole post on our Terrible, Horrible, Not so Good Day (sick baby, clogged toilet, no heat, no stove, ...) but I just can't. Especially after reading another chapter from Lysa TerKeurst's book Unglued. It is so good- I especially enjoyed chapter 7. Lysa uses 1 Chronicles 20 the story of Jehoshaphat to give five steps to follow when feeling unglued.

Step 1- "remember who you are you." Jehososhaphat was alarmed, but resolved to remember who he was- a child of God, holy and dearly loved, who God has set apart for a mighty plan. She said she does not want to be a slave (and neither do I) to her circumstances, her hormones, or other people. Emotions should be indicators not dictators.

Step 2- Redirect focus to Jesus. There is power in His name.

Step 3- Recognize God's job isn't my job. 2 Chr 20:15 the battle isn't yours it's the Lord's. My job is obedience- God's job results

Step 4- recite thanks and praises to God "if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, it's still a good day."

Step 5- remember reactions determine reach. 2 Ch 20:29-30. others were impacted by Jehoshaphat's reactions- mine too!

So even though today wasn't what I had planned it was still a good day.
I am thankful for so many things
-I unclogged the toilet (finally!)
-the wings turned out good- although we wish James had been here to make them and to eat with us!
-the kids enjoyed the first half of the game- and went to bed well
-Big Girl didn't feel well most of afternoon but she took a nap and then was happy cuddling on my lap
-the kids were great helpers- fixing drinks for baby sister, getting everything ready for dinner
-Big Girl (that's what Baby C says if you ask her name) seemed to feel better at bedtime
-we had plenty of blankets to cuddle on the couch
-the kids were excited to make valentine boxes
-we didn't have heat but we had power and watched Prince of Egypt on Netflix
-we couldn't use the stove but the Ninja works great! made all our meals today in it (except Cereal Sunday) and planning on it again tomorrow!



No comments: