Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sick Days to Snow Day

We have been so blessed with health this year but the last two weeks have been a little rough. There was a lot of this
But there was also a lot of this- hopefully the video works so you can hear the quiet fire, see the reading boys, ...

 There was also some of this
 And a little of this
This was too sweet to not take a picture. K was reading on the couch. BG came over and asked to lie down next to him. Then she asked for him to cover her with his blankie and finally asked if she could curl his hair. Love the sweet moments!
 We got over our sickness well enough to go to Walmart yesterday- along with the rest of Fayetteville in preparation for the first snow this year :) We didn't need much but I didn't want to go through snowdays without Tums, pedialyte, and chicken broth and we were all ready for a trip out of the house :) when the kids heard snow was predicted, I explained that weather forecast was actually more for ice which I heard coming down lsat night. But 630 this morning an excited C came into my room "There's snow!" I was able to hold off the sledders until we finished the most important things- Bible, morning chores, breakfast, and math but then they were off... they had so much fun sledding and snowboarding on the ice outside. BG thought the ice was too scary which was okay with me because I got some baking and cooking done while the kids played. But first snow is pretty exciting- even if you're over 10 and even if it's mostly ice so... I bundled BG up and we went outside. It's amazing the difference in the kids from even one year to the next- which reminded me of how many things are easier this deployment. And that I should be thankful for that. It would be way too easy to compare what's easier/ better about living in Fayetteville vs. living in Baltimore, so here's some of my top things that are easier this separation time in NC:

1. Kids can do so much more- I got the box of snow bibs/ boots out of attic but I could hand it to Keegan and Chase instead of carrying it all the way down the stairs. I only dressed one child (BG)- the rest could do it all themselves.


 2. Kids can play so much more without help. I stayed inside most of the time with BG.

 3. Kids can help each other more


 3. They play so much longer by themselves. I lured them in with hot chocolate (our first day of snow tradition)- to warmup frozen fingers, get some school done, and enjoy a good book by the fire.

4. I have a quiet time with my feet up in front of the fire. BG is napping. Rest are playing outside. i could write so much more but I think I'll just be thankful and enjoy this quiet while they have fun!

We had a super snow day: puffed pancake in our ninja, some school, lots of sledding and snowboarding, some reading by the fire, hot chocolate, hot maple syrup on cold snow (thank you Little House), taco soup, and good bedtime! Thank you God for seasons!


No comments: