Saturday, October 16, 2021

Seasons

2021

We have been in a busy season for a while. So much so that I haven't updated our blog in a long time. But last night the shortness of seasons really hit me and I want to remember the moments. Five years ago our oldest boys joined a homeschool soccer team. It really seems like not long ago, it's amazing how much the boys and the team have grown. That saying "the days may be long but the years are short" is so true. 

Last night was K's last game- not last game of the season, not last home game, not last away game, not last regular season game, but last game of high school. So many thoughts and memories went through my head as we applauded the seniors leaving the field for the last time. I even texted James right before to ask "can he just still in until the end? can he come back in?" I was very thankful to have friends at the game to hug me, cry with me, and remind me that there will be other things. It's not just soccer. I know that's true, but it's still hard to say goodbye to the current season. 

Five years ago a bunch of young boys joined a team and over the years became a family. And not just the boys. Those first years none of the boys were old enough to drive so four days each week Moms and siblings would drive those boys to practice. Families would go to all the games. The younger siblings had a good time playing together beside the field. Parents would cheer from the sidelines. The first year we just  hoped we'd make it to the second half without being mercy ruled. The second year we hoped we'd make it through the game without mercy rule. Now we're really competitive with the other teams!

2017

A few of my many memories from this season: I remember the first year playing New Bern. We thought we had a change at scoring a goal in that game. We never did but we sure cheered loud. I think the other team thought we were obnoxious fans until we explained we hadn't scored a goal yet. 

I remember the night game against Wilmington at the tournament the first year. M scored a goal and we celebrated like we'd won the whole tournament! The boys decided to chase down James to try to dump the gatorade cooler on him, but five years ago they weren't fast enough to catch James so the other team helped them chase him down!! 

We had lots of good sweaty dinners after games and I loved our end of season celebration. Instead of go sit still at a restaurant, we had pizza or burgers together at the field several years and then a teammate's house last year. I loved hearing Coach speak about each of the boys. 

I thought I'd cried out all the tears last night, but I'm crying now and as I think about our upcoming end of season party, I know there will be more. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love that my 3 teen boys had the opportunity to sweat, play, win, and lose together. So much growth in each young man individually and as a team! And I'm glad that James got to help with team and that our younger kids had fun on the sidelines and will probably get to play Crusaders soccer together! 

Crusaders at the Dream Run


I got all teary and didn't even get to the part of how much they've improved! From -64 goal differential the first year to -11 this year. Amazing! Twice this season we tied the team that won NC state tournament 4 of last five years. So thankful for this season of our life! 

 



2018

2019

2020










No comments: