Saturday, January 24, 2015

Whats Not Working...Thankful


So I woke up today and decided to write a post about what's not working. Both to be balanced and because I did way too much this morning. Yes, in some ways it was good- C, T, KG and I all cooked together, K and I sewed together- I helped him make a present for KG, and Big Girl had fun with each of her siblings. I could have taken pictures of all the food that is now made:
coleslaw, bean and bacon soup, cooked cabbage, french toast, french toast casserole, scones, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, 3 loaves of bread, breadsticks.

But right now, I am worn out and I have a kitchen that looks list this  After rereading those good words from Habakkkuk I'll just leave the kitchen mess to imagination :)

What a great example of how even good things can be not good if they are too much.
I really need to slow down. I keep thinking well if I'm cooking something and need to clean up, I might as well cook ten things and then clean up:) but as I'm learning everywhere more is not necessarily better.

But then I read my daily devotional (Moments Together for Couples) which said that 24 Jan is now officially "the most depressing day of the year. Hear again the words of a man who knew what to do with a January 24 kind of feeling: "Though the fig tree should not blossom and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation."

So instead of obsessing about what's not going well I can choose to be thankful. I have not been as good lately at writing in my thankful journal and I  really have tons to be thankful for. Here's a few:

1. KG isn't limping anymore. No swelling in her knee! So thankful!!
2. KG's eye appointment was terrific- her eyes look perfect. The doctor seems very knowledgable and wants to follow up to make sure her eyes stay good.
3. I have a friend who came over yesterday to watch the kids for KG and my doctor appointments. She brought groceries and dinner and did a Top Secret Surprise with the kids- I don't know what that was but it was the boys' high of the day. They were so excited.
4. I have another friend who is watching the kids for my dentist appointment Tuesday. and who knit the boys super cute aviator hats.
5. I have another friend who is giving me lots of baby stuff passed on from her son.
6. We have a super picnic after church every Sunday that the kids and I all enjoy.
7. We have potluck plans for Saturday nights which really helps the weekends with James away.
8. Homeschooling is going better. Kids are learning to be good helpers and really having a good time playing together.
9. We are driving distance to family which is great for visits and help!
10. James will be here in 50 days!!
and so much more!!!

No comments: