Monday, February 11, 2013

Whole 30 Part 2

We're nearing the end of our 30 days. it has been kind of fun to try new recipes. We've definitely eaten a ton more veggies over the  last couple weeks and I really feel good. I'd hoped to lose more weight. I am hungry a lot but I've realized one of the good things about healthy eating is that you can eat a huge plate of food and not feel bad!

Here's a couple recipes we really liked;
 sweet potato/ zucchini frittata  was really good
so we're trying              sweet potato zucchini hash soon
butternut squash roasted in coconut oil was so good I'm going to go get some now!
butternut squash custard 


James made bacon explosion twice which was really good- meatloaf wrapped in bacon.
I've had grand plans over the years for monthly (or at least weekly) meal planning. I've never really followed the monthly- I do try to generally make a weekly plan. But what's worked best for my meal planning is having certain meals for certain days of the week-here's what we had for whole 30 for those days
Sunday cereal for breakfast- I had diced apples, carrots, and nuts with cinnamon and a little coconut milk
Monday night- dinner salad- lots of toppings- just add some meat
Tuesday night taco night- some nights we had in romaine leaves and sometimes taco salad
Wednesday- easy- usually quiche or a fritatta
Thursday- leftovers
Friday-pizza- we usually had shrimp salad
Sat/ Sun- grill

breakfasts have been a rotation- oatmeal, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs, ...(sometimes puffed pancakes, waffles, or toast) and smoothie to drink
the kids haven't really changed but I've been eating lots of veggies with eggs most days and usually save the smoothie for a midday snack. I've really liked the times I made a huge smoothie and frozen some of it in muffin tins. then on a busier morning, I just pop the frozen smoothies into the vita-mix. instead of chopping up lots of fruits and veggies

I wasn't sure what we were going to do for the Super Bowl but James had a terrific idea and made yummy wings- whole 30 and very good




No comments: