Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Really nice day

God gives you what you need. We'd had sort of a rough week and I was so thankful to be blessed with such a nice day today. Nothing was terrible this week but we had lots of little things that tested my patience. After writing about trying to view things in light of eternity, I spent what seemed like an eternity Wed afternoon as I waited for over 2 hours at Family Practice when I thought I was dropping off some papers. We did have nany teachable moments there. When K asked why it was taking so long, I told him he could ask God to help us finish sooner. Not long after that things did speed up- I think God may have used my tiredness/ pregnancy hormones/ husband deployed to make me teary and upset and then we actually got good help instead of being told to make an appointment after waiting for 1 1/2 hours. Then C got a rash so we missed Playgroup and went back to the doctor, T threw up at our Fun Fridays at Mcdonald's, the truck wouldn't start, and the shower drain wasn't draining right so I was really ready for a good day today.

I've learned so many things during James' deployment like just this week how to jumpstart a car, unclog a drain, and ask for help sometimes. I called a neighbor and asked if she would take K to soccer just to make sure that Trey was well. (He seemed fine as he played & ate lots of our homemade pizza last night) K was super excited about going with a friend. C was sad about not going to soccer until I told him that his special day with Mommy would include an eating craft. K requested eggs, grits, and toast for breakfast to have extra energy for soccer. We had a really nice morning. I spend some time most days with each boy alone but usually can't spend several hours with one- so today C & I both appreciated our special time. After helping me grind the grain, T & C took a red bath- food coloring in the water made K's leaving for soccer less sad.
can you see how much they're "helping?" (bc I needed another reason to vacuum the floor.) After some playtime, T took a nap and C & I played the picnic manners game- C's birthday present. I loved that he really enjoyed asking "please may I have a token", then matched, and said "thank you." (He played several times later with K too.) Then we made bread together- a couple loaves, some rolls for the freezer, and cinnamon rolls for tomorrow. While the bread rose, C made his Paul & Silas in jail craft- he loved when the earthquake knocked down the pretzel/ string cheese jail so he could eat them. Then we enjoyed a cup of tea together. It's amazing how much calmer & quieter it was with only one boy home awake- we spent time together and the kitchen was clean, laundry put away.

K said he really liked his soccer game but was sad that I wasn't there (that may have been bc C told him he had tea & an eating craft.) We had another eating craft for lunch- this time Paul was shipwrecked so we had Paul on a boat (english muffin with pretzel mast/ cheese sail.) After good playing, we all napped and woke up refreshed. K & C played so nicely together and then we got ready for hopefully our last Home Fires dinner. I've really enjoyed the monthly dinners for deployed spouses but hope to be out at dinner with James March 21st- the next HF dinner. When I changed out of my sweatpants, K said "Mommy you look nice"- how sweet! We all had a really good time- everyone enjoyed dinner, their friends, and a craft. Here's K's snowman and T & C's rainbows.

No comments: