Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Fire Deparment did not come to our house today

I guess I should be thankful for that everyday that we don't have a fire, but I don't usually think about it. I think it was the blaring alarms all over the house or it could have been the fire in the oven that made me thankful for today. Unlike Saturday, today started very calmly/ routinely. The boys woke up, had oatmeal, played, T took his nap, we read & played more, the boys "helped" me make things in the kitchen, we went to K's speech therapy, had lunch, ... Then I decided to finish making the granola they were helping me with before speech therapy. I tried a new recipe (well, if you've seen me cook- this was my version of "trying a new recipe"- I borrowed pieces of different ones, adapted those, then tried it out.) I'm not sure which piece of this "new recipe" I don't recommend- maybe the combo of a little olive oil/ butter with the broiler of a gas stove- I definitely don't recommend the big flames which came out of the oven.
Amazingly, the alarms didn't wake T up from his nap, K didn't get up (although later he said it's very hard to go to sleep with alarms going off), and C did go to sleep a while after the alarms ended. It's good to know the alarm works- I did tell the alarm company that we didn't need the fire department to come- even though the boys would have been very excited to see fire trucks with wreaths on front come to our house! I am pretty sure that this is not what the granola was supposed to look like:

After that excitement, things went back to normal- although I don't know if the oven just got used to burning but the baked goodies we made for a friend are a little darker than they probably should be.

I started to write a post yesterday about how therapeutic raking leaves is, but as I continued to rake, I realized it's only therapeutic for the first 10 minutes or so- after that it turns into work! I have enjoyed the first minutes of raking for the last few days. The boys helped some and played lots and it was great to be outside. T started kicking the soccer ball across the yard- he's always trying to keep up with big brothers!

Sunday the "big" boys went with me to my "class" at church to hear the Christmas program- they loved the music. We did leave a little early (when the preacher started preaching)- I thought I'd used up all the sitting still time during the music. We got home and had time to do some more raking- I'm aiming to be finished my first raking of the whole yard before Kayleigh arrives (of course by then, it will be covered again:)
Tonight we went on a walk- K wanted to show me the house that he's going to buy when he's grown up & turns 20. He did say that kids don't always live where they grew up but then he picked out houses for the 3 boys. I guess we still have time to pick one out for baby sister.
I forgot to write about the different types of trees. As we through Pinetta, FL, K said that sounds a lot like Pine Valley. We started talking about pine trees and he said "there's four kinds of trees. Pine trees, other trees, apple trees, and Christmas trees." pretty cute!





















No comments: